This week I caught up with Matty Arsenault, frontman for one of America’s most renowned pop-punk bands, A Loss For Words. The band released a total of eleven records in just over fifteen years and played shows all over the world. Since the split up of the band last year, Matty has been working hard building his band management company, Reclaim Music Group. Interested in finding out a little bit more about his guilty pleasures, sleeping on the streets of Germany, & what inspires him? Then read on…
1. Any hobbies?
Honestly, too many. Travelling, sports, music, skating, and of course… eating!
2. What’s your favourite movie?
Hmm… Disney classics are my favorite like Robin Hood, The Sword in the Stone, Peter Pan. You can choose!
3. Any guilty pleasures?
Collect Disney toys! Haha
4. What was the last song you listened to?
The whole Childish Gambino record actually.
5. What’s your biggest fear?
Sharks. Love watching documentaries of them though. Crazy creature.
6. Tell us about the last dream you had?
I don’t think it would be appropriate but it was good for sure!
7. What’s your favourite insult?
I actually don’t like negativity or bullying, so I don’t like insulting people.
8. One word to describe yourself?
9. What’s your favourite tattoo & why?
My back piece. It’s Japanese themed. Honestly Japan has been my favourite country since the first time we toured there in 2009. Best culture and love the ancient history.
10. If you wasn’t doing music, what would you be doing?
Well since this is our last record I’ll be done performing, but I manage the band Pvris, The Gospel Youth, Light You Up, and a few others, so I’m still very wrapped up in the music industry.
11. How did you come up with the name “A Loss For Words”?
Back in the day we were changing the name in high school and we had a list of names that we were thinking. One was A Loss For Words, of course. And I remember I had a funeral for a family member, and at the church the priest said “we are at a loss for words today”. Went back to the band and there it was.
12. Where do you usually gather inspiration for songwriting?
Life experiences. Mostly hardships.
13. Who are your biggest influences?
Musically as from the start of the band: Saves The Day, No Use for a Name, New Found Glory, Alkaline Trio. Also a lot of 90s RnB and Motown classics.
14. Who’s one artist you’d love to collab with?
Anderson Paak or Chance the Rapper.
15. What’s your favourite city to play?
Other than Boston, Tokyo in Japan.
16. If you got to relive one tour again, which would it be?
Set Your Goals, This Time Next Year – UK tour, around Slam Dunk Festival I think, around 2011? So many shenanigans.
17. What’s the wierdest thing that’s happened to you on tour?
Not being able to find the guys and sleeping outside the venue after a crazy night of partying in Germany. Haha, was an interesting night for sure.
18. Since “A Loss For Words”, tell us a little bit about what’s been going on?
Honestly, just building my management company brick by brick. Started with Pvris, and now just taking it one step at a time but enjoying every minute of it. Super happy with the bands I have on my roster!
19. Should we be expecting any upcoming releases?
This is the bands last release as a full time band. But who knows what’s due to happen down the line. Nothing plotted or schemes, just the last album.
20. Anything else you’d like to share?
Thanks for the support! Appreciate everyone who has supported us over the years and for being a part of this amazing journey!