This week I caught up with one of Manchester’s best tattooists, Mitch Pleasance. Usually when it comes to tattooists I know my stuff, but some how I’ve only very recently discovered Mitch’s work. He began his career in the industry in Australia just over five years ago, and since then has relocated to Britain. Interested in finding out a little bit more about his love for garlic bread, what inspires him, & his favourite machine? Then read on…
1. Any hobbies?
Drawing, all the time! I also love to wakeboard when I can, and I try to skate.
2. What’s your favourite movie?
Oh man, that’s tough. Fight Club first comes to mind, but I couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve seen Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.
3. Any guilty pleasures?
I am a big fan of garlic bread, with every meal.
4. What was the last song you listened to?
I had a bit of a Dr. Dre session today.
5. What’s your biggest fear?
Bees, I hate bees.
6. Tell us about the last dream you had?
I usually don’t remember what happens in my dreams, they’re always so random.
7. What’s your favourite insult?
Suck a fart. I didn’t hear that much until I moved to England with my girlfriend, but I laugh every time.
8. One word to describe yourself?
9. What’s your favourite tattoo on your body & why?
Probably both my calf muscles. They were my first legal tattoos, done by a friend who I always looked up to. They’re big and bold, and trad as fuck!
10. If you wasn’t a tattoo artist, what would you be doing?
I have thought about this a lot, and I honestly have no idea.
11. How long have you been in the industry?
I got my first job in a studio two weeks before my 18th birthday, so five years now!
12. Who are your biggest influences?
Tattoo wise, it’d be rude not to say Sailor Jerry, I grew up looking at all his work and trying to redraw it. But definitely my dad, he’s the man.
13. Where do you usually gather inspiration from for your designs?
Instagram, it’s so great to see other people pushing the limits and styles of tattoos these days. It makes me want to keep up. I’ve also started using Pinterest quite a bit.
14. What’s your favourite style to tattoo?
Trad man. I love to see a big solid tatt.
15. What’s your favourite machine?
My Micky Sharpz.
16. What’s your favourite tattoo convention?
I haven’t been to many to be honest, but recently I went to Tattoo Tea Party and it was massive!
17. What do you think makes a great tattoo studio?
Good people who all have a drive and a push to get better. I really vibe off people who are always trying to do more and learn more.
18. What advice would you give to anyone looking to join the industry?
Draw, listen, and observe.
19. Do you have any guest spots coming up?
I’m currently working with Danny and the crew at Heart for Art. They have two really cool studios, definitely worth checking out!
20. Anything else you’d like to share?
Just get more tattoos man.
If you’re interested in getting tattooed by Mitch he’s currently based at Kewpie Tattoo in Stockport, UK. To check out his work head over to his Instagram and get yourselves booked in!