This week I caught up with rapper and traditional tattooist Stuart Young, from South East London. On a personal level I’ve backed Stuart’s music for years. If you don’t recognise him then you probably havn’t been a part of the Tumblr generation. Images of Stuart have been circulating their way around the web since his early teens. If you’re interested in finding out a little bit more about his hobbies, who influences him, & his favourite tattoo machine? Then read on…
1. Any hobbies?
I enjoy stuff like building Gundams, playing PlayStation with my mates, and collecting Pokémon & Yu-Gi-Oh! cards. I’m a low key dork. I also enjoy making rap and YouTube videos.
2. What’s your favourite movie?
3. Any guilty pleasures?
Listening to Famous Dex, and anime smh
4. What was the last song you listened to?
Just Watch – Trill Sammy
5. What’s your biggest fear?
6. Tell us about the last dream you had?
I haven’t had a dream in forever. Either that or I can’t remember them.
7. What’s your favourite insult?
Cunt, but with a few people it’s just a term of endearment, “fakin love ya cunt”.
8. One word to describe yourself?
9. What’s your favourite tattoo on your body & why?
Probably my palms because I used to never think they would hold, but mine are bold and in there.
10. If you wasn’t a tattoo artist, what would you be doing?
Musician or selling weed to your sister
11. How long have you been in the industry?
I first became an apprentice when I was seventeen, so six years now.
12. Who are your biggest influences?
Traphouse Tattooer, Sway, Simon Erl, Philip Yarnell, to name a few.
13. Where do you usually gather inspiration from for your designs?
Whatever is on my mind I usually draw. It can be after watching a film, seeing a specific painting, or even looking at household items.
14. What’s your favourite style to tattoo?
15. What’s your favourite machine?
My Rotary Works MK2 SlimLine
16. What’s your favourite tattoo convention?
Brighton, even though I’m from London. We always have a better time in Brighton, I think it’s the fresh air.
17. What do you think makes a great tattoo studio?
A friendly team, dope art, passion for the craft and most of all, trust.
18. What advice would you give to anyone looking to join the industry?
Be patient. It’s going to be a long and stressful journey but it’s a dope one and well worth it if you stick to it.
19. Do you have any guest spots coming up?
Not currently, but offers are always welcome.
20. Anything else you’d like to share?
Hit me up for dark dank Traditional tattooing with friendly vibes. I’m at Belly Bar in Bromley, South East London. You can contact the studio on 020 8464 4100 or DM me on Instagram. Much love and be safe!
If you’re interested in getting tattooed by Stuart, he’s currently based at Belly Bar in Bromley, South East London, UK. To check out his social media head over to the links below.