This week I caught up with Janine Shilstone, vocalist of Scotland’s finest pop punk band, Vukovi. The band are currently touring across Europe supporting Pvris, and will be heading to the UK in December as part of the Kerrang! Tour. Interested in finding out a little bit more about her biggest fear, a postshow stitch up, & what inspires her? Then read on…
1. Any hobbies?
2. What’s your favourite movie?
3. Any guilty pleasures?
Anything by the Vengaboys
4. What was the last song you listened to?
Villains of Circumstance – Queens of the Stone Age
5. What’s your biggest fear?
Dying in my sleep and forever living in that nightmare I died in.
6. Tell us about the last dream you had?
I was buried alive in a coffin full of water and razors. (I need help, I know!)
7. What’s your favourite insult?
“Who put 50p in the dickhead?”
8. One word to describe yourself?
9. What’s your favourite tattoo & why?
I’m a tattoo virgin
10. If you wasn’t doing music, what would you be doing?
Probably be dead
11. How did you come up with the name “Vukovi”?
I was born in Serbia and travelled with a Serbian circus till I was 12 being a snake handler. Before I joined the band the boys were in a band called ‘Wolves’. We changed our name to ‘Vukovi’, which means wolves in Serbian.
12. Where do you usually gather inspiration for songwriting?
My soap opera of a life!
13. Who are your biggest influences?
Josh Homme, Grace Jones, Bring Me The Horizon, Cristina Aguilera, Amy Lee, Florence Welch.
14. Who’s one artist you’d love to collab with?
Queens of the Stone Age or Bring Me
15. What’s your favourite city to play?
16. If you got to relive one tour again, which would it be?
Our tour after our debut album was released.
17. What’s the wierdest thing that’s happened to you on tour?
In Manchester I sliced one of my fingers open down to the tendon about an hour before a show. So, our tour manager wrapped it up in duct tape to stop the bleeding and I got really drunk to mask the pain. After we did the show we didn’t have time to go to the hospital because we had to travel to TITP. A German ex-army paramedic called Bunny overheard us and offered to clean and stitch it up for me in the cellar of the pub we were in. Did a cracking job of it even though the scar looks like a dick!
18. Do you have any future tour plans?
Kerrang! Tour in December, then ideally a headline the start of next year.
19. How about any upcoming releases?
Possibly some new music the start of next year.
20. Anything else you’d like to share?
I own a clothing brand called BitchCrvft and I have thought-action fusion OCD.
To cop tickets to catch Vukovi on the Kerrang! Tour, head over to See Tickets.
Featured image credit: Ryan Johnston & Stuart Simpson